Translate

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Snoqualmie Pass Rail Trail






We rode from Ciel's mom's place to the top of Snoqualmie Pass on the old rail grade, which is now Iron Horse State Park. It was 42km of 1-2% grades on the way up, so we made pretty good time. I felt like crap at first, as I hadn't been on the bike for a week, but the kinks eventually got worked out.

The best part was the tunnel at the top - at 4km long, it's pretty dark in the middle! There were also some people walking through the tunnel, and some of them didn't have lights - a bit nuts if you ask me! We had little MEC LED lights, which worked well enough, but brighter lights would have helped reduce the time needed to acclimatize to the dark. Might have blinded the others in the tunnel if I'd used my big 5W LED lights though!

There were a few old trestles on the trail, as well as a few climbing areas right beside the trail - I don't know that I'd want to climb knowing my belayer was standing on a busy trail and might have to suddenly dodge a bicycle!

Now we get to soak in the hot tub...it's a rough life, but someone's got to live it!

No comments:

Post a Comment